Turkey is a country replete with rich culture and traditions dating back to the medieval times. Every year, different locations within Turkey host music and dance events to celebrate their culture. This year is no exception. Here are some of the upcoming music and dance events around Turkey.
Side Culture and Art Festival
* This event is slated to start on July 23, 2014 and end on September 17, 2014 at Side.
* All events are scheduled to begin at 9:30 pm with no entrance charges.
* The main objective of this event is to display to the world the numerous and popular world orchestras, artists and dancers; each contributing towards a wholesome celebration of arts, music, history, and tourism.
The following is a schedule of performances for this event:
Antalya Jazz Festival
* Begins on July 1, 2014 and ends on July 31, 2014 at Aspendos Amphitheatre.
* Jazz aficionados will be performing in the 20,000 seater state-of-the-art auditorium.
* After this grand launch successive performances by the big names within the international Jazz industry and famous orchestras.
* The team includes China Moses and Mehmet Ikiz Trio, and Monica Molina all set to perform on July 20, 2014, L'Orchestre de Contrebasses and Cesaria Evora performing on July 22, 2014.
* Faith Atakoglu Trio and Al di Meola World Sinfonia set to conclude the first edition.
* Antalya is not only a beach resort, but also the capital of Turkish Riviera which is an agile city of over a million residents, known for cultural shows and displays.
* It also hosts a symphony orchestra, a ballet company and an opera company.
* It also hosts numerous visiting musicians during the international music festivals. The music selection and choices are always satisfying.
Antalya State Symphony
* This comprises of an exciting ensemble scheduled to perform every Friday evening in the season starting from October and ending in May with the perfect audios of the Aspendos Salonu located in Ataturk Kultur Merkezi.
* The orchestra comprises of various conductors and soloists performing on a weekly basis. Their repertoire is mainly the Greatest Hits of Classical music. These include Beethoven's 5th Symphony, Mozart's 40th Tchaikovsky, Brahms Symphonies, just to name a few.
* Their peculiarity with a large part of the audience makes it even more enjoyable because of their first time encounter.
* But for the audience used to the music, the performers inject some new ideas and creativity to make the music more contemporary.
* This is characterised mainly by short works made by the Turkish composers until halfway through the programme and then finalised with their popular standards after the break.
International Piano Festival
* This is the major event usually witnessed in Antalya. Here, world-renowned artists from various genres, classical groups ranging from the likes of Moscow Virtuosi Chamber Orchestra to jazz maestros such as Chick Correa perform at AKM for six weeks every year during fall.
* The musical selection extends further to Spanish Flamenco, Folk music of Greek origin, as well as the piano/violin duo of Igudesman and Joo.
* The event led by Fazil Say, the Director of Music during the festival and an internationally acclaimed pianist, normally opens with an exhilarating two sold-out performances, one of which is his individual orchestral composition. Antalya State Opera and Ballet
* This consists of an ensemble that showcases both traditional Western pieces of work such as Verdi's II Trovatore or Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker.
* They even exploit the American Musical theatre with the performance of West Side Story performed in English in form of Turkish dialogue.
* However, the most fascinating performances are the ones peculiar to Turkey.
For instance, the Call of Mevlani is a wonderful masterpiece that blends traditional Turkish instrumentation and musical themes laced with orchestral sounds to elucidate the origin of Rumi in Ballet. On top of the wide range of classical music selections, Antalya also hosts the Efes Jazz and Blues Festival, which invites internationally acclaimed stars in these music categories to unplanned venues with beer and hot dogs for enjoyment of the music.
Antalya also boasts of numerous homegrown bands who perform in bars and nightclubs in various parts of Kaleici, which is the oldest town in the city. For the normal live contemporary music, then find a traditional bar, or Meyhane can just be the perfect venue for you. In this place, you can listen to singers or songwriter with a guitar as well as traditional collection of Turkish instruments. If you happen to be in Antalya during summer, there is an opportunity you cannot let go of.
Performance in Aspendos is one of the most thrilling performances you can ever attend, considering the fact that it is done in one of the best-preserved oldest theatres in the world.
The International Opera and Ballet Festival
* This provides a perfect forum where artists and musicians all over the world gather to showcase powerful concerts within a very brilliant setting.
* Whatever your choice of entertainment, be it classical concerts, traditional folk music, or dance clubs, be sure to locate their venues with unruffled ease. International Children Festival.
* This is slated to start for April 23, 2015 in Antalya.
* It is held in honour of Mustafa Kenal Ataturk, who is the founder of the Republic of Turkey.
* This event is characterised by performances in groups, street games and folk dance performances by children from all around the world.
International Choir Festival
* This is scheduled to begin on April 11, 2015 and end on April 15, 2015. Here, various styles of choral music are showcased by all nationalities.
* All choirs are scheduled to perform for a maximum of 20 minutes in the 'open air' category and then allowed to perform an extra song in either competitive or non-competitive categories. The best choir is finally rewarded with prize money by an international jury. Ensure you have Turkish visas in place to facilitate your travel.